Covering Stanmore, Finchley, North London and Surrounding Areas
HS Electrical are here for all your NIC EIC testing and inspecting needs throughout Stanmore, Finchley, West Hampstead, North London and all areas close by within this area. Continue reading to find out more regarding the NIC EIC inspecting and testing services we offer.
Want to understand Periodic inspection in greater detail?
In most walks of life, things deteriorate as they get older and are used – this is true in electrical installations too. Therefore, they should be regularly checked and tested to maintain the quality of condition for use. These safety checks are commonly known as ‘periodic inspection and testing’:
A periodic inspection will…
- Find any electrical shock risks or threats
- Highlight any defective electrical work
- Identify and lack of earthing or bonding
- Show if any electrical circuits or equipment are overloaded
Once completed you will be granted en Electrical Installation Condition Report, also know as an EICR.
The HS Electrical team also test wiring and all fixed electrical equipment to check that they are safe. We can arrange a schedule of circuits to allow you to fully understand your network.
How often do I need to have a period test completed?
Your electrics should be inspected and tested by a competent electrician every:
- 10 years for an owner-occupied home.
- 5 years for a rented home.
- 3 years for a caravan.
- 1 year for a swimming pool.
We also advise whenever you are selling your property or preparing it for a tenant that you have it tested in full.
What happens during a periodic inspection and who will be performing the inspection?
The HS Electrical team are fully qualified, competent and registered electricians with years of experience when it comes to dealing with periodic testing. Our team will always refer back to the UK standards for safety of electrical installations, known as BS 7671 Requirements for Electrical Installations (IEE Wiring Regulations). This applies when looking at circuits, switches, fuses or any of your electrical system. From our base here in Stanmore, we are able to offer NIC EIC testing / inspections throughout Finchley and North London.
Our in-depth inspection is designed to cover and give you assurance to meet the relevant criteria for the following points:
- Making sure your earthing and bonding is done where required.
- The suitability of the switchgear and controlgear. For example, an old fusebox with a wooden back, cast-iron switches, or a mixture of both will need replacing.
- The serviceability of switches, sockets and lighting fittings. Items that may need replacing include: older round-pin sockets, round light switches, cables with fabric coating hanging from ceiling roses to light fittings, black switches and sockets mounted in skirting boards.
- The type of wiring system and its condition. For example, cables coated in black rubber were phased out in the 1960s. Likewise cables coated in lead or fabric are even older and may well need replacing (modern cables use longer-lasting pvc insulation).
- Sockets that may be used to supply portable electrical equipment for use outdoors, making sure they are protected by a suitable residual current device (RCD).
- The presence of adequate identification and notices.
- The extent of any wear and tear, damage or other deterioration.
- Any changes in the use of the premises that have led to, or may lead to, unsafe conditions.
Once complete you will be issued with a Electrical Installation Condition Report detailing any issues we may have found during the inspection. Some of these issues may be damage or deterioration and where your system does not comply with modern day requirements. We will always give you advice on the costs to remedy any of these issues found and advise on the most appropriate course of action.
If one of our team finds something we deem as potentially dangerous, we will declare the report as unsatisfactory and look to work with you as quickly as possible to remedy this issue. Our job is to make sure your home, office or property is not only periodically tested but more importantly safe, we would never leave without outlining the issues and looking for the most cost effective way to repair the issue.
Should you be looking for qualified Electricians offering NIC EIC inspections and testing in Stanmore, Finchley or North London, HS Electrical are here to assist you moving forward. Contact us today to find out more.